Sunday, March 15, 2009

Introduction to my journey!!!

Hello All, this is my first crack at Blogging!!! I'm going to be 40 this May, and years ago had made a promise to myself to be in the best shape of my life by the time I turned 40!!! So if you follow along with me you can share in the journey.

Also I will be posting different routines I do when I lift weights, as well as go into detail of what works, what didn't work, and what might work all while getting ready for my 3rd Bodybuilding Competition this October.

I have been training seriously for about 3 years now, and I can honestly say the dieting is the HARDEST part!!! Give me the weights anyday, and I will be happy, but throw in the food intake and I want to run away like a little baby, LOL!!! Thats another point I would like to make here, when I say diet, I DO NOT by any stretch of the word indicate can't eat this, can't eat that..... I simply mean what goes in my mouth during this journey. I sincerely believe you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's done in moderation, balance, and ALOT of intelligence!!!

I don't subscribe to all the hype thats out there..... as far as you MUST take in X amount of Protein, or X amount of this and so on. That is what the supplement companies want you to believe in ONLY to sell more product!!! I understand this , but don't believe in it. I am an AVID follower of Mr. Mike Mentzer, he was a Professional Bodybuilder who broke away from the "norm" of Bodybuilding, in that he advocated only 1 set to failure instead of 3+ sets per exercise.

Instead of the workouts that lasted for 2-3 hours daily, for 6 days a week (sometimes even twice a day) he believed that brief and infrequent training, was what was needed!!! A common fallacy is that you grow while in the gym, this is false, you grow AFTER the workout while your RECOVERING. So if your constantly working out (everyday) and sometimes twice a day, tell me this................ When are you recovering and hence growing and/or getting stronger? You got it........... Your NOT!!!

Some people will say, actually MOST people will say that Volume training (Multiple sets, multiple days a week) work, and to an extent they do............... at first. But as you grow stronger, and the weights start climbing, you will have to slow down, its a fact that the body cannot keep going hard like that without problems, unless there is "help"!!! By help I mean steroids and other substances that help the body to recover faster. I DO NOT advocate anything like that, I am a natural Bodybuilder and will forever be.

The Style I follow is refered to as H.I.T., High Intensity Training. It is based on brief and infrequent training. You would be amazed as to what you can accomplish with only a few sets per workout, 2-3 times per week!!! There has been studies proving that 3+ sets of an exercise DO NOT show significant progress over 1 set to failure, so if you can get the same results, or even close to it with a fraction of the time in the gym, wouldn't you, your body and your family prefer that?

Think about this..... You can workout hard or long, but you cannot workout hard, long. What I'm saying is you cannot keep up the same amount of energy for a marathon session of working out as you can in say......10 minutes!!! Do you honestly think the body and joints will stand up to set after set of heavy training day in and day out without problems? I can tell you my experience, and mine did NOT!!! I began having problems with my shoulder at first, then my back, knee and so on. Then I was introduced to HIT from a friend of my brothers, his name is Jason Rulo, and it opened my eyes...... BIGTIME!!!

Thats it for now, it's getting late and I have to get to bed soon, I will post more and more each time, so please follow along with me on my journey...

2 comments:

  1. Very good start Archangel. I will be watching your progress. Check out my blog WWW.my-senior-blog.blogsport.com

    ReplyDelete